Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Calcium from seaweed does a body good!

Pasteurized milk is not a good source of calcium to be absorbed by our bodies. When milk is pasteurized, it goes through a high heating process that kills both good & bad bacteria, healing enzymes, vitamins, good fats & proteins. Pasteurization destroys the natural Vitamin C that is found in raw milk and also converts it's sugar, lactose into beta-lactose, which is readily & easily absorbed into the body resulting in a child becoming hungry again, much sooner. Also destroyed in the pasteurization process is calcium, known to be in high concentrations in raw milk. Calcium is important for many bodily functions that include a healthy nervous system, heart, bone density, good teeth, controlling anxiety & depression to name a few.

Since most of the milk products available today in the stores are derived from pasteurized cow's milk, there are some researchers saying the cow is not the best source of milk for us to consume, whether it be pasteurized or not. Dr. T. Campbell http://hlifemedia.com/2010/03/hlife-interview-colin-campbell , Professor Emeritus of Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell University, says, '“there is one diet to counteract all of these diseases: a whole foods, plant-based diet.” Studies from the Yale University School of Medicine show that women over 50 years have a 70% bone fracture rate, which is attributed to the consumption of animal protein. Since animal protein from cow's milk is acidic in nature, a diet high in pasteurized milk produces an acidity in the blood & tissues that requires the body to respond to balance the bloods pH levels. Since calcium is a very alkaline mineral the body pulls the calcium from our bones, which store about 99% of our bodies calcium, the other 1% is found in our blood, to balance the pH of our blood, moving from an acidic state to a more alkaline state. Hence the pasteurized cow's milk actually helps to remove calcium from our bodies in a response that occurs to balance our blood's calcium & pH levels.

Green leafy vegetables are great sources of calcium, which includes green-leafy sea-vegetables too. Since sea-vegetables contain 10-100 times the concentrations of vitamins & minerals as compared with land based vegetables; including a wider spectrum of other co-factors, polysaccharides, fats & enzymes included. Sea-vegetables are a rich & bio-available source of calcium, potassium, Vitamin C & magnesium which are all required for proper calcium absorption & the regulation of pH our bodies. Other sources of foods rich in calcium are: raw sesame seeds, raw sunflower seeds, raw almonds & brazil nuts, raw broccolli, alfalfa, sprouts, figs, whole soybeans, tofu & adzuki beans.